Thursday, December 17, 2009

Truffle Treats


I recently attended a holiday event at a local Chocolatier's shop (The Royal Chocolate in Virginia Beach, VA). It was a delightful evening designed for a little networking and a little chocolate tasting (I love mixing business with pleasure). I even had a chance to flex my culinary knowledge regarding the history of chocolate (Yes, I'm a not so closet Foodie). Perhaps it's my love of most (o.k. all) things chocolate or it's the holiday season's tendency to let us throw caution and calories to the wind but I'd like to share my personal recipe for simply sweet and semi-classic...
Chocolate Truffles

16 oz Semi-sweet or Bitter-sweet chopped into small pieces ( or chocolate chips)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Pinch of salt
1/2 tablespoon Orange or Peppermint Extract (optional)
Cocoa Powder (for coating truffles)

In a small saucepan heat cream with a pinch of salt to a simmer (be careful not to burn or scald). I a large, wide bowl pour the chocolate pieces or chips. When the cream is almost at a boil pour over the chocolate. Allow to set for about 30 seconds to a minute and then whisk together allowing the heat from the cream to melt the chocolate. Add vanilla (and other optional extracts) to the mixture and combine. Once smooth place in the refrigerator to chill and set-up (at least an hour or so). Meanwhile, place Cocoa Powder in a wide, shallow container. Remove chilled chocolate mixture from the refrigerator, scoop with a tablespoon and roll into 1" balls. Roll the chocolate balls into cocoa to coat. You can serve on a platter or place a few in cellophane bags tied with a satin ribbon and give as gifts.... Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment